Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hey Mom, I’m really glad we got that raincoat for me to bring to Austria! My first week in Austria was unusually warm. This past week has been unusually cool and quite rainy. The weather’s mood swings made me feel like I was back in Kansas!!! :)

Monday was kind of a relaxed day since we had spent such a long day in Vienna the day before. There was some reading involved in the afternoon and my eyes may have had an extra long blink or two. The nice thing about the rainy weather was that Monday and Tuesday afternoons included some very good movies! The family was a good sport and played them in English for me, with subtitles for them. The whole family’s English is really quite wonderful, which I am so thankful for. 

Monday me & the boys were in charge of lunch...sausage spaghetti &garlic bread
The Kuhrer’s live in a region of Austria called the “Wine Quarter.” Tuesday I got to experience a little bit of the wine culture here. I was able to go and tour the family’s two wine cellars, which are really quite fabulous. Picturesque, you might call them. Later than day we went to a nearby uncle’s farm. He has his own vineyards and produces his own wine. He said in a good harvest year he could produce 50,000-70,000 liters of wine. We sampled two of his wines, Gruener Veltliner and Rose Wine. I am not a wine connoisseur (FAR from it), but I enjoyed them both and couldn't really decide which I like better. During our mini wine tasting, Great Aunt Poldie stopped by to visit. She is an elderly Austrian woman who has rarely left the village. She speaks no English, but was quite happy to keep up a steady conversation in German. I really didn't understand any of it, nor was she able to understand me, but Raphael was able to translate for the most part.  There were a few minutes when Great Aunt Poldie and I were alone, but she kept talking. I was able to catch most of it because she kept saying, “so thin!” and “you’re cold?” It was particularly cool that day and I only had on a light jacket. I was honored she was so friendly because the family later told me she usually does not talk much to outsiders. She was a really sweet woman and I think I would have enjoyed spending more time with her.
In the newer & larger cellar
Grandfather's older cellar...really beautiful
Those were there when I got there, I swear :) 


Sampling wine from uncle's farm
Great Aunt Poldie 


Tuesday evening was also a town BBQ for the youngest Austrian parliamentarian, Ava Himmelbauer. She just happens to be from this district, so I got to enjoy free sausages! She came over to mingle and we even got a picture together, though not with my camera. Afterwards we were able to hang out with a few other members of Landjugend, which is the Austrian organization that partners with 4-H to coordinate the IFYE exchange.

The weather cleared up later in the week, although it’s still a little cool. This gave us the chance to visit a large amethyst vein that was discovered in a nearby village. They have part of the vein on display and give tours to explain how it was created and the importance and uses of amethyst throughout history. There was also a shop to purchase amethyst items; they were beautiful, but mostly out of my budget. We were also able to go back to Vienna on Thursday to visit the famous shopping streets and the First District where some significant buildings, such as Parliament and the Opera House, are located. I must say, the architecture in Vienna is exquisite, as is the hazelnut ice cream! :) 

At the Amethyst mine 
House of Parliament 
SWEET bike we saw in Vienna...gonna have to get one of these! :)
Om nom nom nom....yummy in my tummy!  

Friday was a significant day for the Kuhrer family. We traveled back to Vienna for the youngest boy Michael’s last day of school. For the last four years he has attended a special school where he is a member of the Vienna Boy’s Choir. It is a prestigious choir of boys 10-14 years old. They travel and perform internationally. As Michael is now 14 today was something like a graduation ceremony from the choir. Afterwards we attended a BBQ and helped Michael move his things back home. When I asked he said he was both sad and relieved to be done with the busy choir touring schedules. I am so lucky the timing worked for me to be present. There are not very many people who get the chance to attend such an event.

Saturday was my chance to make the "American meal." I brought over recipes for BBQ meatballs, parmesan  potatoes, spinach salad, and apple pie (because, really, what is more American than apple pie?). It was fun to share some of our family's favorite recipes, but also a challenge because they do not always have the same ingredients available. Liquid smoke flavoring is hard to find, as is Crisco. (Also, Europeans do not really have peanut butter and for those of you who know me well, this is NOT ok! I will probably go on a peanut butter spree when I get home...lol.) Because I had to make a few substitutions and improvisations, not everything was EXACTLY like it would have been at home, but I would still say it was successful! They really seemed to like it. That or they're just really polite pretenders :) There weren't any leftovers, so I took that as a good sign.
BBQ meatballs, Parmesan potatoes, & homemade vinaigrette salad

Apple Pie!
I have to have everything packed up Saturday night because Sunday we leave early to head to Vienna for a final celebration of Michael's graduation. We'll attend Mass and a then a reception for Michael. From Vienna I'll catch a train to take me to my next host family, the Konig's, in a small village called Hurm.

The Kuhrer's have been a wonderful host family!!! I've enjoyed my time in Glaubendorf and I feel so privileged to have met them all and been welcomed into their home :)
The whole family (L to R): Gabriel, Monika, Erhard, me, Michael,  Raphael

Stay tuned to meet my new host family, the Konig's! Praying everyone at home is staying safe and doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment